Sunday, June 2, 2013

JOHN

I've mentioned before in my blog about my goal to build my FAB FOUR tribute guitars. These are just for me to pass on to my kids. GEORGE, my saffron orange 12 string, is already in the blog. I finished JOHN about 4 months ago. It had to be a Ric 325 clone, but I wanted it white as a nod to Lennon's white piano. 

Gold hardware. Gold Diesel brand toaster pickups.

Gold Bigsby vibrato. Gorgeous piece. That Ric relief in the guitar top is a challenge!

I wanted it to feel like John's did just for the vibe of it, so it has the amazingly short 20 and 3/4 inch scale length. It really is a tiny guitar. My research also told me heavy gauge flat wound strings were correct. I love em! White nitro lacquer finish. Ebony fingerboard. Chambered alder body. Very fun to play, but tiny.

I hand painted this replica of John's self portrait on the back then cleared and buffed it out.

Lennon's initials with some abalone inlay in the truss rod cover.

This is my favorite inlay that I've done yet. Lennon's glasses in brass and abalone, with a psychedelic burst of white pearl and abalone.

Another nod to John's piano. Plastic pickguard material with real ebony keys.

1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog while surfing the net for what a white 325 would look like. Yours is fantastic! Do you sell any of your guitars or willing to build one if paid materials and labor? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete