Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Red Doctor

I got an  email from a gal living in Georgia who was interested in a gift guitar for her husband who was graduating from medical school in 2 1/2 years. That was 2 1/2 years ago, so it's finally time for her husband to get his gift. Fortunately, I get to present it to him! Very satisfying for an artist. It's been a long time to work on one, but it's been very fun. Whitney gave me lot's of freedom on what I was going to do on the guitar. This has been kept a total surprise from him this whole time. Impressive!
 I was given a little direction. Whitney had walked through a couple of guitar stores with her husband and while he commented on what he liked, she took mental notes. Red, thin, humbuckers, black hardware. 

The body is a gorgeous piece of book matched curly cottonwood. Not a traditional guitar wood, but with the curl it ends up about the density of maple.  And it's beautiful. I have a very limited amount of this wood. The finish is nitro lacquer with a cherry red tint.

This was Whitney's idea. She wondered if I could somehow get her newborn daughter's footprints on the guitar. This is a water slide decal. I love it.

The position markers are genuine rubies. It has Paul Read Smith wiring with a master tone and volume and a 5 way rotary pickup selector. ( Thanks Brandon, my wiring guru).

I inlayed the husband's initials into the truss rod cover in mother of pearl.

Whitney and I came up with some personal inlay ideas for the finger board. Ute's logo, 49er's logo, SLC temple, Russia map with LDS mission location, medical symbol, boxing gloves, kids names, Whitney's name, wedding date.



No comments:

Post a Comment