Sunday, June 2, 2013

ALZHEIMER"S auction

A few months ago our Beatle band was hired to play the annual Utah Alzheimer"s Association fund raiser at the City Creek Mariott in Salt Lake. As we talked with the gal in charge of the night I was so impressed with her passion to provide service to the Alzheimer cause. I started thinking that this would be a good opportunity to build a guitar for a great organization. She was really happy with the offer and 2 months later I had it done. They received a good price for it at the auction and our band had a blast playing. It might not be the end of the story. The man who bought it said that he was a musician from Chicago and that he planned to take the guitar around and have it autographed, then bring it back to me and have me clear coat over the names. Then he wanted to put it in the auction again. Cool idea! Hope it happens. 

The guitar is basically a Les Paul shape. The top is a beautiful piece of curly maple and the body is mahogany that is heavily chambered. It's very light with a great resonance.
In the 12th fret I did the Alzheimer's logo in mother of pearl with some added flourishes. I did some cutouts in the top similar to what I did on the McCartney bass. They're a bit of a pain to do but I think they look great. 

The neck is three piece maple walnut maple with an ebony fret board. The back has a line of purple heart with a strip of walnut to each side.

 The hardware is gold plated with mini humbucking pickups. I inlayed more mother of pearl into the control knobs.
Good project. It plays and sounds great and they loved it. Thanks Wynne at Alheimers!

No comments:

Post a Comment