Friday, December 13, 2013

McCartney bass

Remove Formatting from selection Custom bass for Paul McCartney






With Paul McCartney coming to Salt Lake for his July 2010 concert I decided to really think big and build him a custom bass as a gift. My hope was that I could somehow find a contact that could make it happen. A friend of a brother later and it was accepted as one of 2 or 3 gifts to be presented to Paul. He got it just before the show and sent down a personal thank you letter to me. What a blast! I’m a huge fan. I've liked this guy and his music since I was 10. I built this bass for him to have it and as a way to say thanks. That’s happened and I’m a happy guy.
The body top is made out of the most outrageous piece of wood I've ever used. It's bookmatched 1/4 inch thick curly cottonwood. It was from a salvaged tree in Cache Valley that was headed for the dump! The amount of flame in this wood is unsurpassed. I've hand-made the various parts, the bridge, the tailpiece, and the pickguard, out of ebony. The knobs are made from ebony and maple topped with mother of pearl. The pickup is a gold plated Hofner 500/1 bass pickup. The body and neck are clear coated with lacquer.

I hollowed out chambers in the body for lightness and resonance. Instead of a traditional f-hole, I carved in these designs in the upper and lower bouts. The area behind them is hollow and painted matte black. The body's edges are triple bound with black-white-black.

This curly cottonwood is amazing! I love the black ebony against it.

The fretboard is a 30 inch Hofner bass scale. I profiled the back of the neck to match the Hofner. The fingerboard is ebony.


The fret markers are hand inlayed brass, black mother of pearl, white mother of pearl, and abalone. A Wings logo for Paul, psychedelic glasses for John, a Hindu om for George, an abalone star for Ringo and a lava lamp in memory of his late wife Linda. She loved lava lamps. They were always present on her keyboard in their Wings days.




The glasses are made from brass tubing with abalone inset into it.



The neck is 3 piece maple and black walnut with a 2 way adjustable "Hot Rod" truss rod.



I did a British flag on the back using tinted lacquer.


All of the hardware is gold plated. The headpiece is bookmatched curly cottonwood to match the body.

8 comments:

  1. This guitar is a work of art. My favorite so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! What an amazing gift! What craftsmanship! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Dave- Todd here, your old drummer buddy from Get Back. Can't wait for Tuesday @ Rio Tinto! Just saw Paul for my second time at the Hollywood Bowl when he kicked off the "Up and Coming Tour!" It was awesome! Hope to see ya at the show. Congrats on making a beautiful bass and I hope you get to give it to Paul personally! (if you do tell him Todd says "HI!") todd5743@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for making this bass for Paul.

    1- i love that you used a hofner pickup and the neck and fret board are based on hofner specs.

    2- i really love the fret markers...the glasses, ohm and star were obvious...BUT..when you pointed out the lava lamp...i have to tell you...i got a bit emotional...that is a beyond heartwarming "homage" to Linda.

    I'm proud of you that you have not made it imperative that you meet paul...it is humble of you...and i bet...and i'm not a gambler...but i bet paul asks to meet you.

    If not...its "all good"...enjoy the show and go home and know you did well...and Paul's fans appreciate what you have done. We would all love to thank him for what he has meant to us...you have gone a big step further...so should you not get to meet him...trust me..its cool...your intent was honorable and thats what matter most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uncle Dave, congratulations on making a bass for Sir Paul. I'm honored that I got to play it before it ended up in his hands. You truly are a master builder, and this instrument is a work of art. I hope that you get a photo soon of him playing it.
    Rich Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember hearing about this story during the summer. So, did he receive it and/or did you meet him, too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. J! This is Candie (Larsen). You had me in 4th grade a "few" years ago. :) I just saw the news article on your story just couldn't stop smiling. Your work is amazing! That is so neat that you made that guitar and it actually made it into Paul's hands. Beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr.J! This is Sheridan Jaussi! Don't know if you remember me but that guitar is awesome! 2 years ago I got a fender acoustic electric and right now I'm thinking about buying a Sheridan open body electric! Your work is amazing! You should email me sometime! I really miss you as my teacher! sherslam@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete